According to Federation CJA (click here):
- There are 18,130 Jews living below the poverty line in the Montreal CMA. The poor comprise 20% of a total Jewish population of 90,780 in the local community.
- The percentage of economically disadvantaged has been steadily rising in the Montreal Jewish community. In 1981 there were 15.5% poor here, compared to 17.7% in 1991, 18.6% in 2001, and 20% in 2011.
MADA is committed to face this growing-level of poverty.
In 2017, MADA’s kitchen served 403,280 hot meals:
- 283,450 main cafeteria meals;
- 36,400 satellite cafeteria meals;
- 42,210 Shabbat to Share meals;
- 16,200 Mobile Cafeteria;
- 20,020 takeout or home delivery meals;
- 2,500 Passover Seder meals at 10 Montreal locations;
- 2,500 Rosh Hashanah festive meals at 10 Montreal locations.
In 2017, MADA’s food bank distributed:
- 120,000 monthly & holiday food baskets;
- 12,423,075 pounds of food;
- $2,000,000 of food, cleaning products and personal hygiene items to other organizations.
In 2017, MADA’s clothing and furniture depots distributed:
- 132,500 items of clothing;
- 2,500 pieces of furniture.
Our goal for the future is to keep up with the increasing demand and not leave anyone behind.
Recently, we have learned that some of our senior clients feel isolated, so we have implemented the Care & Call program.
We have learned that clients would like to have new good quality clothes at reasonable prices, so we have opened the Goods4Good store.
We are constantly listening to our clients’ needs and adapting to provide them. We are all family.